Five to Thrive Week 4
Your Weekly Tips for Workplace Success
UMD’s Thriving Workplace Initiative is making the University of Maryland a great place to work by providing tools and support to foster engaged, inclusive and empowered faculty and staff across campus.
Each Monday, its “Five to Thrive” list offers five strategies crowdsourced from research, experts and our own UMD community to help your workplace thrive.
Want to build a Thriving Workplace? Here are this week’s tips:
- Eliminate “waste” during your next one-on-one meeting by asking: What’s wasting your time? Work together to generate solutions.
- Invite university leadership to visit and interact with your group—share achievements up the ladder.
- Share positive feedback prolifically: Look for the small things your team members do to up their game, and let them know you notice.
- Set aside time each week to get to know someone you don’t ordinarily work with.
- Ask, “What do you think?” It’s simple, and it works. Asking people for their opinion creates positive connection and can produce fresh ideas.
Want more tips? Visit the Thriving Workplace Resource Library here or sign up for Food for Thought Friday, which delivers strategies to your inbox each week. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject listserv to subscribe.