Five to Thrive Week 17
Your Weekly Tips for Workplace Success
UMD’s Thriving Workplace Initiative is making the University of Maryland a great place to work by providing tools and support to foster engaged, inclusive and empowered faculty and staff across campus.
Each Monday, its Five to Thrive list offers five strategies crowdsourced from research, experts and our own UMD community to help your workplace thrive.
Want to build a Thriving Workplace? Here are this week’s tips:
- Assign for growth. When creating a list of tasks for your team to complete, provide opportunity for learning (or honing) a skill by delegating to someone who is eager to grow in that area.
- Recognize a job well done in different ways: a personal note; a note to your supervisor that cc’s the employee; a “reply all” shout-out; a mention at the weekly staff meeting; or a spontaneous conversation in the hallway.
- Acknowledge and respect different career goals. While some employees look to move up the ladder, others might be perfectly content being really good at the job they’re in.
- Avoid a case of the Mondays by making a task list Friday afternoon. Having an action plan will help you sleep better on Sunday night, too.
- Physically see your people daily, or at least weekly, particularly if they are in different locations.
Want more tips for building a thriving workplace? We’ve mapped it out for you. Check out the UMD Thriver Map, which profiles success stories right here at UMD and offers ideas you can apply today.